Christ Our King-Stella Maris School
In 1950, Rev. John Lawrence McLaughlin, pastor of Stella Maris Parish on Sullivan's Island, founded Stella Maris School with 54 students. The Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy served as teachers, and the school quickly grew. In 1953, a cornerstone was laid at the current location on Russell Drive in Mount Pleasant. The original Russell Drive building has since been expanded and refurbished numerous times.
In 1973, the school was renamed Christ Our King-Stella Maris to include the newly formed parish, Christ Our King.
The school has had several principals, including Sr. Stella Maris Craven, who led the school from 1980 until her retirement in 2005.
In 2009, the school was named a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence by the U.S. Department of Education.
COK-SM School now serves a total of four parishes East of the Cooper, with an enrollment of roughly 600 students, K4-8th Grade.
Alumni of the school include Msgr. Lawrence McInerny and Fr. Gregory West.
Bishop England High School
On September 22, 1915, Rev. Joseph L. O’Brien organized a secondary school for 67 Catholic students with a faculty consisting of three diocesan priests and three Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy. In 1916, the school relocated from its original Cathedral School location on Queen Street to 203 Calhoun. The school was officially named for Bishop England, in honor of the first Bishop of Charleston.
In the Fall of 1998, Bishop England relocated to its current campus on Daniel Island.
Bishop England's 730 students have opportunities to excel in academics, athletics, arts, and community service.
Twenty Bishop England graduates have pursued vocations as priests or vowed religious.