Christ Our King began as a mission of Stella Maris parish in 1922. Mass was celebrated at 735 Pitt Street in the Sacred Heart of Jesus Chapel.
In the 1950's, Msgr. Laurence McLaughlin built a hall on the present site of COK-SM School; the hall served as a chapel under the title of Christ Our King, and in 1973, Bishop Ernest Unterkoefler designated Christ Our King a parish. The current church building was dedicated on Gaudete Sunday, 1979.
Christ Our King has been served by four pastors:
Fr. Robert J. Kelly, 1973-1977
Fr. Herbert Conner, S.J., 1989-2017
Msgr. James Carter, 1989-2017
Fr. Robert Spencer, 2017 to present
From humble beginnings, Christ Our King has become a parish community of 2,000 families.