Extended section on Vocations from Winter 2009 By The Way Newsletter
The article linked below is from Carol Baloglu about a relative living in Irelan, Brother Joe Gordon.
Vocations to the Religious Life
The English word 'vocation' has its origin in the Latin 'vocare' ('to call'). 'Vocation' today is understood as a calling to holiness/wholeness for all Christians by virtue of their baptism. Ordained and religious life are but two responses to this baptismal call to live in the love of Jesus Christ and to bring the Gospel alive to the world.
Here in the Diocese of Charleston, 126 priests (99 active) serve the over 120,000 Catholics within the state of South Carolina. Additionally, the Diocese has 120 permanent deacons, 28 religious brothers, and 137 religious sisters.
Requirements for Priesthood Applicants
- A practicing Catholic for two years.
- A strong commitment to prayer.
- A balanced personality.
- Good health.
- Ability to complete required courses.
- A sincere desire to serve the Church and Jesus Christ as a priest.
- A sincere love of God and the Church.
- An openness and respect for the gifts of all the faithful.
- The willingness to collaborate with others for the purpose of building up the Church and the Kingdom of God.
- A willingness to be at the service of others.
- A willingness to seek out and receive spiritual direction.
- A general understanding of the Catholic priesthood.
- A commitment to the process of discerning a priestly vocation.
- A respect for and commitment to the traditions of the Church regarding priesthood, including celibacy.
- A willingness to submit to the authority of the Bishop.
- Active in a parish.
- Two year chaste lifestyle before entry into seminary
Requirements for Deacons
- Age at ordination - 35 to 55
- 4 years of college
- Requires 5 year course of study in Columbia, SC every other Saturday, 11 months a year.
- On ordination, vow to pray the liturgy of the hours
- On ordination, vow obedience to the Bishop and his successors
- Take the vow of celibacy upon the death of his wife
- Vocations within the Diocese of Charleston
- Vocations Online
- National Coalition for Church Vocations
- National Conference of Diocesan Vocation Directors
- Vocation Info at catholic.net
- Religious Ministries
- Mount Saint Mary's Seminary
- The Pontifical College Josephinum
- St. Mary's Seminary & University
- Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
- The North American College
Specifically for Men
- The Society of Jesus in the United States
- Community of Fransiscan Friars
- Congregation of The Oratory of St. Philip Neri
- Xaverian Brothers (Congregation of Brothers of St. Francis Xavier)
- Trappist Abbey of Our Lady of Mepkin
Specifically for Women